Book a Free Consultation
“Working with a Speech-language pathologist will set you apart from others; It will give you the support and distinct advantage that you need”
Does your accent interfere with your message?
Sometime an accent can make it difficult to be easily understood by others. The result can leave you feeling anxious, self-conscious, less confident and can often have a significant detrimental impact on professional advancement and potential earnings. PROactive Speech Therapy & Accent modification can help.
Accent modification, also known as accent reduction training, English pronunciation training, accent adjustment, accent neutralization, or accentuation, instructs speakers on how to adjust their accent to more closely match their goal language. An accent occurs when speech sounds from your first language affect the pronunciation of sounds in your second language. Accent modification involves learning new sounds, intonation and speech habits to match your goal language, in our case, Standard American English. As you learn to improve more and more Standard American English sounds, your accent progressively sounds more native to Standard American English. At PROactive Speech Therapy & Accent Modification we understand that an accent does not reflect intelligence. With practice along with the expert training of a qualified speech-language pathologist who is certified in accent reduction, you can learn how to alter your speech to more closely resemble the accent of native American English speakers.
PROactive Speech Therapy & Accent Modification provides intensive accent reduction training online, using evidence-based methods (Compton P-ESL) to improve pronunciation of Standard American English. Our specialized expertise and individualized, simple-to-use practice is what takes our clients further toward their goals.
PROactive Speech Therapy & Accent Modification can help you:
- Learn how to clearly communicate with clients, colleagues, and professional leaders
- Reduce the frustration you feel when speaking
- Increase your confidence for public speaking, presenting, professional activities, phone calls, video conferencing
- Gain skills to enhance opportunities for job promotion
- Maximize the potential for greater business opportunities
- Improve work flow and team participation
- Increase sales
- Improve relationships with customers, clients or patients, and leaders in your field
- Make a significant impact on your personal & professional skills
- Give yourself an advantage to obtain greater stability and income potential for your family
- Stay competitive in your field with sales/presenting
- Conduct meetings with greater impact and command attention more effectively
- Be taken more seriously by coworkers and leaders
- Provide more meaningful feedback to your employees
- Save time: reduce the need to repeat yourself or re-word your meaning
- Give yourself an advantage for that job or promotion you have been dreaming of
- Speak with greater authority and confidence
- Effectively communicate the 2nd language skills you have worked so hard to learn and achieve!
Clientele Who Benefit from Our Services:
- Senior Professionals
- Physicians and healthcare professionals
- Marketing Managers
- Small Business Owners
- I.T. Consultants
- Financial Accountants
- Real Estate Agents
- Pilots and air traffic control
- Members of the clergy
- Managers and executives
- College/university students
- Sales directors
- Lawyers and litigators
- Public service professionals
- Employers looking to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of their ESL employees’ communication
- Anyone who is looking to improve their accent and communicate more clearly
PROactive Speech Therapy & Accent Modification uses customized individual training programs that will help you achieve your specific communication goals and make you a more confident speaker.
Why choose a Speech-Language Pathologist over other accent coaches?
Most ESL speakers opt to consult with speech-language pathologists (SLPs) to reduce the impact of a foreign accent. Speech-language pathologists are skilled in the transcription of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), moreover, we are knowledgeable in the field of anatomy and physiology involving speech production. Speech-language pathologists operate from a clinical evidence-based practice model and apply extensive knowledge involved in speech production. SLPs are familiar with the latest research in the field, and are trained in analyzing articulation as well as the suprasegmentals of speech. Choose an SLP that has been certified in Accent Modification.
TIP: Determine if you have Extended Health Benefits through your work that may cover some or all of your required accent modification training. Speak with your benefits provider. Many employers also offer to partially or completely pay for courses for employees whose communication is impacted by a foreign accent. Consult your workplace Professional Development Resource Centre or Human Resources to find out!
- Individualized accent modification program is completed one on one
- Direct time with a Master’s trained speech-language pathologist
- Your specific speaking needs will be addressed with a tailor-made program
- We can help you achieve measurable improvements with your pronunciation and will provide you with evidence of your improvements with pre and post audio assessment reports
- We employ the latest research on accent modification to help you achieve your speech goals
What Can You Expect From The Accent Modification Compton P-ESL Program?
- A free initial consultation, a comprehensive speech analysis, and an audio recording of your speech to determine your pre-instruction measures. An audio recorded re-evaluation at the end of your course is provided for a completely objective measure of your success
- A completely individualized learning program based on a phonetic analysis of your recorded speech
- 13 weeks of instruction and comprehensive practice exercises
- At least a 50-80% improvement in your spoken English when following the practice protocol. Experienced P-ESL instructors will often anecdotally report results in the 60 to 80% range.
Prices & Fees
Initial Accent Modification Assessment: 60-90 minutes
Your investment: $250 CAD
Includes comprehensive written report
Assessment fee waived with 13 week program registration
Accent Modification Program: 13 weeks, 1 hour weekly
Your investment: $2,500 CAD
Free Consultation: Meet with a speech-language pathologist to get acquainted, determine your goals, discuss the plan and requirements and determine if you qualify for the program. There is no obligation to have an assessment after a consultation.
Book a Free Consultation
Assessment: There is no obligation to complete the modification program once an assessment is complete. The full amount will be deducted with registration to the 13 week Accent Modification Program. If you are undecided about registering for the Accent Modification program, you can simply register for the online assessment and decide later if you would like to register for the program.
- An in-depth speech assessment will be conducted using online analysis of your own pronunciation in speaking, reading, and conversation tasks
- Your speech will be thoroughly analyzed for any and all errors, substitutions, omissions as well as any other patterns that may exist including intonation, stress and rhythm
- Grammatical errors will also be addressed
- Following the assessment, you will be provided with a comprehensive summary report outlining all sound patterns affecting your use of Standard American English
Accent Modification Program Features:
- Includes 13 weekly 1 hour online sessions with flexible scheduling
- One on one Individualized program
- Meet via virtual conferencing with your speech-language pathologist to learn evidence-based speaking techniques
- Expert guidance and feedback are an essential part of your program
- Practice activities are all individually set up for your exact needs
- Everything required to obtain the results you want are included in this package
- High-use vocabulary is targeted from the very first session. This ensures that you learn to pronounce words that are critical to your daily life more accurately
- A final report comparing pre and post instruction results which includes a calculation of the percent improvement of your spoken English
- A Course Completion Certificate is available upon request (required for some employer-paid programs)
After completion of our program, you will be able to:
- Understand and hear the way you currently speak and how it differs from Standard American English
- Learn exactly how to pronounce new sounds in isolation, words, sentences, reading, and conversation, including improved intonation, stress and rhythm
- Practice around your own desired schedule
There is a cost to receive a lasting skill that will produce dramatic results for a lifetime. The return on investment is linked to professional enhancement and potentially improved income generation. Get the skills you need to maximize your potential to succeed!
Why work with me?
I have been practicing as a certified speech-language pathologist (SLP) for more than 11 years. I am a certified Accent Modification Instructor using the Compton P-ESL Accent Modification method which is based on over 20 years of research.
- Choose to work with an SLP that is certified in the Compton P-ESL in Canada; don’t settle!
- Work directly with a Certified SLP with 11 years of experience in articulation who has in-depth knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of articulation
- Evidence-based methods with proven results. The results are clear and measurable. We can expect that participants who practice the 19 targets during the 13-week program will emerge with a measured increase in their pronunciation accuracy by at least 50%. Experienced P-ESL instructors will often anecdotally report results in the 60 to 80% range.
- Individualized instruction, one on one, direct teaching of your exact areas of concern
- Personalized pre and post-training assessment is provided to demonstrate your measurable improvements
- Convenient tele-practice using HIPAA compliant video conferencing technology; complete all sessions in the comfort of your own home
- A personalized practice program will be set up for your convenience to support your learning
- Flexibility: Your time is valuable too. Practice can take place at your own desired time, working around your own personalized schedule
- Individualized and thorough reports provided
- Certified member of Speech-Language and Audiology Canada
- Certified member in good standing of the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO), a governing body for SLPs.
- Telepractice provides access to a certified professional that may not otherwise be available in your region.
- A certificate of completion is provided if desired for professional purposes (often required by employers)
- Prompt returning of calls/requests, secure messaging and videoconferencing for HIPAA/PHIPA compliant communication
Are You Ready To Be Free?
- Free yourself from the worry of not being understood, and not getting your message across seamlessly
- Free yourself from the wasted time spent on extra preparation for presentations
- Free yourself from the frustration and anxiety of having to repeat and explain yourself over and over again
- Build your confidence in speaking with clients, colleagues and leaders and enhance your professional growth and career advancement
- This is a chance to change your life!
- Feel secure in knowing that you are fully supported during the process and afterwards.
- Feel confident that you are following an evidence-based method, directed by a certified SLP to guide you. No more trying on your own, reading e-books, watching youtube videos just wasting time and energy spinning your wheels
At the end of this training, with the recommended practice, you can expect to speak with greater confidence and be consistently understood by listeners, with an improvement in clarity rates of 50-80%.
Book a free, no obligation online consultation to meet Rebecca Bower MHSc, SLP ( C ) Reg. CASLPO and see if PROactive Speech Therapy & Accent Modification is the right fit for you.
Free Accent Modification Self-Assessment
Test yourself to help determine if you would benefit from accent modification training. If you answer yes to three or more of the questions below, you will benefit from our accent modification services.
- Do you want people to understand your English more easily?
- Do you want to speak English with greater confidence?
- Do people frequently ask you to repeat yourself?
- Are you confident in your knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary?
- Do you understand exactly what sounds, intonation, and rhythm differences make your speech different from native American English speakers?
- Do you know exactly how to adjust your tongue and lip positions to articulate and mimic native American English speech sounds?
- Do you avoid certain words, phrases, or topics because they are particularly difficult for you to say?
- Do you feel anxious about your accent when communicating in social or workplace situations?
- Do you feel annoyed or embarrassed when people ask you to repeat yourself?
- Have attempts to correct your English pronunciation through DIY youtube videos and e-books not given you the results you need?