words: "I didn't understand you"
Be understood. It’s just 13 weeks away! Work with a Speech Language Pathologist and do it the right way!
Does any of this sound familiar?
You’ve been learning and speaking English for a few years. You read English books, you watch English television, listen to English music, watch YouTube Videos about English pronunciation, and have spent countless hours taking self-directed online courses to try and help improve your American English pronunciation; all without the help of a speech-language pathologist.
BUT…you’re still being asked, “Could you repeat that?”…or…”Pardon me?, “I didn’t understand, could you say that again?” This is both ANNOYING and FRUSTRATING! You’ve done your best. You’ve put in the time and effort but, just aren’t seeing the results you want.
You want to be able to order your morning coffee without a hassle, have conversations with new people and be understood right away, give a presentation at school or work that doesn’t result in glazed over eyes and confused looks, and actually be considered for that job promotion.
Maybe, most importantly, you want to stop feeling like your private relationships or work prospects are being affected because of your English pronunciation.
Don’t go another year (or years) with no action, no job promotion, and not being understood on a daily basis.
Think for a moment, what if it didn’t have to be that way?
Imagine a life where your accent no longer felt like a handicap. Imagine what it would be like to clearly pronounce words using an American English accent so that everyone understood what you were saying…the FIRST time! It’s in your power to change; you just need a little help from a professional; A speech-language pathologist.
Have you ever wondered why you’re not improving on your own by practicing and repeating the American English you hear around you? One of the many reasons is because you cannot fix the sounds that you cannot hear and distinguish!
Just as important, it is extremely difficult to use new sounds that are not part of your first language’s repertoire without implicit and knowledgeable direction from a speech-language pathologist on how to adjust your tongue, jaw, and lips to produce those sounds.
American English has many sounds that other languages simply do not. You have to be specifically instructed on how to hear/distinguish those sounds as well as EXACTLY how to make those sounds.
You need a knowledgeable Instructor who understands the tongue placement required for certain sounds to be produced, and to thoroughly assess exactly which areas of articulation will have the greatest impact on your American English pronunciation. That’s what I do; and I’m good at it!
That is why other methods aren’t that effective for most people. You need a LIVE Speech-Language Pathologist who is a Certified Accent trainer who can provide specific feedback that is tailored to your individual needs, taught to you step-by-step with the same instructor each week to support you all through the process.
After my 13 Week Accent Reduction Program you WILL:
- Improve your English Pronunciation by 50-80%
- Speak English with greater confidence
- NOT be misunderstood or asked to repeat yourself as often
Results you can count on...
To get an idea of how well and how quickly you can improve your English pronunciation let’s look at the results of a very recent client who has completed the program: (demographic information has been changed to protect the client’s identification).
Elle: Female, Mid 30’s
Occupation: Early Childhood Educator
Native Language: Mandarin
Elle has spoken English for many years but reported that she has struggled socially and professionally for years, with people asking her to repeat herself often.
Overall improvement by the end of my 13 Week Program: 72%
Word errors pre-program: 111; Post program: 19
Reading level errors pre-program: 172; Post program: 60
Elle reported that a huge “aha” moment, was when she learned exactly how to say the “th” and Shwa sounds as in the “uh” sound correctly. She was so excited to learn exactly what to do with her tongue, lips, and jaw and how to distinguish when she was doing it right vs incorrectly. She reported feeling so much more confident since completing the program and has not had issues with people not understanding her message.
If you’d like to read Elle’s full case study click here.
I was truly grateful to have Elle as a client. Her dedication to the program and willingness to put in the work made her transformation possible. BUT, to achieve this transformation, you must be willing to take the first step in getting one-on-one instruction with a Speech-Language Pathologist who is a Certified Accent Modification Instructor.
Make a real life change today and book your free consultation right now!
Ready to get started?
My 13 Week Accent Reduction Program is $2,500 CAD (Canadian dollars), no taxes are added. The program starts with a thorough assessment to see where you’ll be starting and what goals we should set up for you specifically.
The assessment takes less than 5 minutes for you to complete, and up to 3 hours for me to transcribe for differences in speech sounds, stress, intonation, rate, pitch, and fluency. The assessment will be the foundation on which we build your program.
Following the assessment, you will book 13 one hour sessions over a 16 week period. I have built a bit of flexibility into the program to account for clients’ busy schedules. You will be given personalized practice materials and individualized audio instruction each week to support your learning.
Each of your 13 sessions is conducted online through secure (HIPAA Compliant) video conferencing software. Imagine it like a Skype call. You get to have your session in the privacy of your own home at a time that is most convenient to you, with the use of a cellphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop!
At the end of the program you will complete another assessment which is then compared to the initial one. The difference between the two will show how much you’ve improved. You will be provided with an audio as well to show your improvement! Clients typically show an improvement in American English Pronunciation of 50-80%!
After completion of the 13 Week Program follow-up sessions are available on a per session basis at your discretion. Some clients find they’re still having difficulty in a certain area and would like some additional instruction or just want a refresher every once in a while. These individual sessions are one hour as well and cost $175 CAD (no tax) each.
It all begins with a free consultation. This helps us get acquainted, answer any additional questions, and ensure that this program is the right fit for you. I’d love to support you in this goal, so click the, “Let’s Get Started!” button below and we can meet!
By the way, Hi, I’m Rebecca, MHSc. S-LP, (C) Reg. CASLPO, Certified Accent Modification Instructor!
No doubt, you want to know if I’m the right Instructor for you. So let’s quickly go through why I’m the most qualified to be helping you improve your English Pronunciation.
- Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology, University of Toronto
- More than eleven years’ experience in assessment and instruction of articulation
- Certified Instructor, Compton P-ESL Accent Modification Method, Institute of Language and Phonology
- Registered in good standing, College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO). CASLPO is a licensing body which assures clinical competence.
- Certified, Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC)
I use the Compton P-ESL method with all of my clients. With this method, I am able to utilize objective and evidence-based measures to ensure my clients have the greatest success.
I speak with a neutral Standard American English accent that is commonly heard in Toronto, Southern Ontario, Canada and around the United States, as often heard on national television.
What this all means is that I have the educational background, extensive experience, and understanding to know how important it is to you that you speak clearly and in a way others understand you the first time. With my background, credentials, and experience I can do just that and in as little as 13 weeks!
If you are someone who deals with an accent that interferes with being truly heard in your professional field or you are ready to be proactive in improving your speech for personal reasons, book your free consultation to begin on the path to improvement.
Why choose a Speech-Language Pathologist over other accent coaches?
Many ESL speakers opt to consult with speech-language pathologists (SLP) who is a certified Accent Modification Instructor to reduce the impact of a foreign accent. As a speech-language pathologist, I am uniquely qualified: I am…
- Proficient in transcription of the International Phonetic Alphabet
- Knowledgeable about the anatomy and physiology involved in speech production
- Able to apply extensive knowledge of the muscles involved in speech production
- Familiar with the latest research in the field
- Trained in analyzing articulation as well as the supra-segmentals of speech
- Held to a high standard, as SLPs are governed by a college which assures clinical competence
An ESL teacher simply does not hold these same qualifications.
Who is this course for and who isn’t this course for?
This course is BEST suited for anyone who:
- Speaks English as a second language
- Can commit to 13 weeks of instruction
- Feels they are constantly being misunderstood
- Knows that improving their English pronunciation will dramatically change their life
- Will make their best effort to put in the suggested practice time of 60 minutes per day
This course is NOT a good fit for those who:
- Don’t have an adequate internet connection
- Don’t have a private place to conduct their sessions
- Don’t have the time currently to practice consistently
- Are not able to book a one hour session once per week over a 13 week period
- Don’t feel that their English pronunciation is having a profound effect on their professional or personal life
- Are still struggling to learn the English language: It is recommended that clients be able to converse in English with some proficiency
Remember, this is a chance to change your life! You can feel secure in knowing that you are fully supported during the 13 week program and afterwards.
Frequently asked questions...
What will I need to access a session?
- A quiet space
- May benefit from a headset but not mandatory
- WIFI/Internet connection: 10Mbps upload and download speeds or higher
- A computer – PC or MAC or tablet/cell phone with a functioning camera and microphone
Why should I hire you as my Accent Reduction Coach?
- Results: If you complete my accent reduction program, with consistent home practice, you should see results of 50-80% fewer pronunciation errors in standard American English.
- Expertise: You will be working directly one-on-one with a Speech-Language Pathologist who is a certified Compton P-ESL Accent Modification Coach who has a Master in Health Science Degree with 11 years related articulation experience. You have come to the right place!
- Flexibility: Services are provided via HIPAA/PHIPA compliant videoconferencing technology to ensure your privacy is secure; all while enjoying the convenience of training in the comfort of your location of choice, at a time that is convenient for you.
- Price: Our prices are extremely competitive with other Individualized accent reduction services AND our services are provided by a Speech-Language Pathologist who is a Certified Compton P-ESL Accent Modification Coach.
- Ease: Our simple to use home practice makes learning a breeze. You will be provided with convenient scheduling options and equally convenient virtual training.
- Reliability: We will customize all of your exact accent reduction needs with an individualized plan. Your coach will be with you through the whole process, with messaging between sessions, and file sharing for full support. We use a model based on 20 years of research, so you can be confident that you will achieve the results you want.
Does your program really work?
The short answer is – YES! The research-based design used to create the Compton P-ESL program demonstrates consistent student improvement of at least 50% when 19 target sounds are addressed over the course of 13 weeks with direct training and regular practicing (suggested 1 hour of practice daily).
This program is based on more than 20 years of research. Career advancement, job success, promotions, and improved self-confidence are all within your reach!
Will my insurance cover Accent Modification?
Accent Modification may not qualify for coverage, however, MANY employers pay for Accent Reduction programs or a percentage of a program.
Ask your employer if there is a Professional Development Program and if an Accent Modification Program would qualify. Upon completion of this program, a certificate may be provided as proof of completion to your employer.
Will my accent come back if I stop working on it? Alternatively, will I lose my accent?
You will be learning specific strategies to enhance your pronunciation of Standard American English. Think of it as gaining a new “tool” to use in your daily life.
The goal is to become automatic and habituated to your new way of speaking; however, you will be able to use your former accent when and if you choose to do so. This is called “code switching”.
Why is English pronunciation so difficult?
Pronunciation is often not taught, and even taught incorrectly, when Instructors are not native English speakers. You must first learn to hear and distinguish the sounds of English before you can produce them.
To further complicate matters, English words are not necessarily pronounced the way they are spelled. Pronunciation requires practice, skill AND knowledge.
Is there homework?
As with all types of learning, practice is a key component for change. The Accent Reduction Program will require a commitment on your part. It is recommended that each participant anticipate 60 minutes of practice daily to maximize the effectiveness of their training.
What results can I expect?
The Compton P-ESL program has been meticulously researched. Results expected are a 50-80% improvement in speech sounds with the recommended daily practice.
How long will it take to reduce my accent?
The program is designed to build on skills exponentially. You will begin to notice results as early as the first session, as new sounds will be introduced. Practice will enhance habituation of your new skills.
As new sounds and complexity are practiced, improvements in conversational speech will begin. In 13 weeks, you will be amazed at what you have learned and the new skills you have developed. It truly is life changing!
Ask me anything!
Any questions you have can be cleared up by booking an initial consultation. If you would like to send me an email or want to text me a quick question that’s not a problem at all. My email address is Rebecca@PROactiveSpeech.com and my cell is (289) 536-0921. I can’t wait to hear from you!
Don’t wait another year with no results. Your future starts now!